Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Ruins of Hauz Khas

This is Simar. She is one of the directors here at Zorba with whom I already had contact from New York. She is a beauty with big expressive eyes, a waterfall of long black hair and a free and generous spirit. I've named her Shopping Girl, not because she's a shopping freak but because whenever I'm shopping with her I have extraordinary luck. Having an insider is really the best way to go. They know where to take you and how to handle people once you're there. 

On Monday, we ventured to the old runs of Hauz Khas in central Delhi. In the 13th century, this was an institution of higher learning. Today it forms a rough-and-tumble park and lake where lovers kiss in rocky crevices and now and then a chanteuse drifts through and plays her voice against the ancient stones.

Afterwards, we explored the nearby shops of Hauz Khas, very rustic and not so much geared to tourism. There in a boutique I scored:  two stunning raw silk garments. One is an ivory skirt with sumptuous beadwork, matching top and scarf. The other a black raw silk skirt with a flare-out at the ankle and gold trim. When I emerged from the dressing room, Simar and the proprietress both let out a "wow!" and I took them both. Each is a one-of-a-kind piece that will no doubt make an appearance in this blog at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment